Saturday, June 20, 2009

"kreading": knitting while reading

Some people watch TV while knitting, others listen to the radio; there are knitting circles for those social knitters, and for those prone to road rage in heavy traffic, some even knit while driving. I read. As someone who barely gets enough time to knit, let alone read, I have found that the combination of the two can lead to optimal relaxation. Pictured left is my latest project- a sleeve for my first handspun sweater, sitting atop the latest issue of Mother Jones. Knitting while reading may sound like a disaster waiting to happen, with enough attention to detail, it can be quite satisfying. You have to be sure to follow the pattern-- "mindless" knitting patterns such as those that have you knit 30 rows with no shaping can be the best for this. Cable patterns can also be doable, as they involve a lot of feeling the project. Lace tends to be more trouble than it's worth, as lace knitting involves lots of instructions.
Knitting while studying can be doubly productive-- I have a set of sweaters that I knit while studying for my history classes, and once, while studying for a biology test, I linked continental knitting to RNA synthesis.

2 comments:

  1. And I thought I was the only one who did this. I got a book chair for Christmas this past year that has enabled me to do this despite the eye rolls of my friends. Two very good things combined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I received a book chair for Christmas that my aunt meant for me to use while cooking so the pages stay open. I have converted it into something to use while knitting instead, despite the eye rolls of my friends. It's a good combination.

    ReplyDelete