This is one of perhaps the easiest, cleanest ways to dye fiber; many people have asked me about how I do this, so here are the basic instructions.
1. Kool Aid-- I use upwards of 5 packets of the same color
2. Crock pot-- you can use the one you already have in your kitchen, as kool aid is safe for consumption
3. water-- enough to fill the crockpot
4. fiber-- a 2-quart crockpot will dye about 5 ozs. of wool.
1. In a dry crockpot, put some kool aid along the bottom, then add fiber, then add kool aid, then add fiber, and so on and so forth, creating a "layered" crock pot.
2. Fill with water, then turn crockpot on low for 2- 2 1/2 hours, or until water is clear.
3. During last 1/2 hour, add 1/2 cup of vinegar to set dye
4. Let cool overnight.
Above is some of the fiber i have dyed using this method. If you want consistently dyed fiber, mix the kool-aid and water before adding the fiber. With this method, you can also use like colors, such as yellow and blue and green, or purple, blue and red for more color.