Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Knitted Tank top


I started this little beauty when my coworkers told me to get a drink, and I decided to do something more productive and go to the yarn store. It began the way most of my projects do--I had the right pattern, the right yarn, even the right needle size ( a stretch for me) and I began knitting it on car rides and bus rides alike. Halfway through, however, I realized I'd made a grave mistake: I didn't like it. This yarn was too beautiful to force to the bottom of my stash, and I needed a tank top for the summer. So (thank goodness my mother wasn't watching) I ripped out the hundreds of yards of bamboo and cotton and started over. I started from the bottom in the round-- I hate seams almost as much as I hate weaving in ends-- and gave it a lacy rib border, then decreased gradually to give it a loose-around-the-hips fit. once I got to the point just below the bust, I wanted to accentuate this part, as I have a fairly small chest and need all the help I can get, so I added the color I used at the bottom and worked in a mosaic rib for a few inches. This gave me the shape I wanted. For the top part of the front, I used the criss-cross top pattern, giving the piece some movement around the neckline. For the back, I just did a deepish v-neck. The finished product: something I can pair with jeans (or a skirt to be more elegant). This is absolutely gorgeous.
Copyright (C) 2009 Sara LeMaster

2 comments:

  1. Glad to know I'm not the only one who ripes of mistakes and starts over. I post my lastest knit project soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call it "recycling". My mom never seems to understand. She just thinks that I should finish the project and be unsatisfied rather than "wasting time"

    ReplyDelete